Saturday, May 13, 2017

Re-Set, Chapter 1 Question 4

What is your authentic core? When you hear the word 'authentic' what pictures or words come to mind? Some think of the following words: real, new, genuine. An online dictionary adds this: representing one’s true nature or beliefs; true to oneself or to the person identified. How can we apply those definitions to our own core person? I like the description in the Velveteen Rabbit: "Real isn't how you are made, it is a thing that happens to you. It takes a longtime. generally by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

That is quite an unflattering description of the process of life well lived. We enter the world with no preconceived ideas or plans. We develop our life outlook as we grow and mature. We have strengths and weaknesses that emerge. We have likes and dislikes. We develop personality attributes. All these are part of our growth process. Somewhere in the fray, life has unexpected moments that visit us. Each of us respond differently to these collisions. We begin to develop defense mechanisms to navigate the unexpected. It is natural to respond in this way. These responses become part of our core. When I asked the question, 'What is your authentic core" most of us struggle to answer that. I struggled to answer that. Then I took the time to dissect the process of 'becoming' which I described above. As I removed one layer at a time I was able to identify my strengths and weaknesses, my calling, my personality strengths, my intellectual and spiritual strengths, and the avenues that aligned with my destiny.

Untangling life takes intentional time, effort, patience, encouragement and drive. My hope is that the information in the book, Re-Set, will assist you in that process.

No comments:

Post a Comment